When we can’t pull our toddlers away from their favorite toy, we can try changing up how they use it! One toy can always be used in a multitude of ways to make it more developmentally stimulating.
Today we’re exploring an old favorite, the Toy Train Track, to make A More Challenging Choo Choo!
– Play with color! Connect all of the red trains, then all the green, etc.
– Make a pattern! What if you linked a green then a red then a green — What color would come next? Older toddlers will benefit a lot from starting to build and recognize patterns!
– Never stop counting! Can we connect just two trains? How about three? Four? Have your little count as you go.
– Practice listening skills! Call out Red, Green, or Yellow Light and have your little adjust their trains’ speed accordingly.
– Play with speed! Can your tot practice restraint and drive her train in slow motion? Then try filling up the gas tank and taking a super speedy loop around the track!
– Change direction! Practice going backwards when someone calls out Reverse!
– Go off railing! Why not make your own track together on a large piece of butcher paper? Winding roads and a great view make for one exciting trip!
– Time for a wash! Take your favorite toy outside with a bucket of water and washcloth. Watch your little’s face light up with delight as you get your trains all spick and span!